Primarily for deposit and corrosion inhibition in steam systems
ESC 270 is a specifically formulated single chemical deposit and corrosion inhibitor designed to protect a whole steam system. ESC 270 has a unique combination of calming and neutralising amines which act in synergy to form a monomolecular layer on heat transfer surfaces therefore greatly improving heat transfer by preventing deposition and the formation of excessive magnetite. The formula is volatile and therefore dissipates in to steam to protect all heat transfer surfaces and condensate systems.
The benefits of applying ESC 270 over traditional single, two or three chemical regimes are –
- Single chemical regime – ESC 270 is a single chemical blend with multifunctional attributes to protect the whole boiler system from depoition and corrosion.
- Volatile protection – ESC 270 is a volatile chemical which dissipates in to the steam to protect heat transfer surfaces in the boiler and condensate system
- Low Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) – ESC 270 has minimal effect on TDS, resulting in lower feed water make-up TDS so significantly reducing required boiler blow down.
- Energy efficiency and cost reduction – A reduction in blow down directly links to a reduction in fuel requirement, having substantial positive impact on energy efficiency and costs.
- Reduced maintenance and down times – carbonic acid naturally present in the condensate system causes severe corrosion resulting in increased down time and maintenance cost. ESC 270 protects the condensate return and heat exchanger so increasing the longevity of your system.
- Idle boilers – the monomolecular layer formed when applying ESC 270 protects the metallic surfaces and inhibits corrosion, this layer is robust and resistant even at times of idling running and stand by.
- Lower application rates – a proportion of ESC 270 returns to the feed tanks/hotwell from the condensate return this means that a lower application rate is required to achieve the necessary chemical reserve which is lost through blow downs and operations.
- Safety – ESC 270 reduces the handling and storage of hazardous chemicals onsite which is an advantage for sites with limited space
- FDA – ESC 270 is FDA approved
Real life Application of ESC 270 on site
A large textile wash plant based in the South Yorkshire area using steam to sterilise and clean units (such as towels, bedding, bath mats etc) ready to be packed and delivered to their customers. The plant operates using a 10,000lb/hr steam boiler which runs 24/7. Originally the site used a two-chemical regime of sulphite and phosphate.
ESC Global Ltd highlighted areas in which the overall system, operation and costs could be improved. The application of ESC 270 generated savings in chemical application rates, boiler blow down rates, fuel and energy costs, water use and overall operating costs through a reduced maintenance regime.
Using industry standard and norms for calculating boiler blow down values –
% Boiler Blow Down = TDS in Feeds Water x 100
Target Boiler Water TDS – Feed Water TDS
Initial figures BEFORE –
880/3500 – 880 = 880/2620 x 100 % = 33.5%
Figures post application of ESC 270 –
344/3500 – 344 = 344/3056 x 100 % = 11.2%
TOTAL SAVING = 22.3% reduction on blow down which directly links to fuel, water and maintenance savings
The boiler blow down saving generated from applying ESC 270 shows a significant saving in overall fuel bills and hence a reduction in costs.
This type of reduction in a site Total Cost of Operation (TCO) has shown to be a common trend in boiler plant changing to polyamine technologies.
Polyamine technology and our unique technical services approach helps boiler plant operators achieve optimum operating conditions and control.